Thursday, May 9, 2013

First stop: Arkansas

We left Nashville on May 1st and won't be back until July.  I know.  Our car is packed to the max.  (Camping equipment included.)  Why such a long trip?

We're heading West, my friends.  California, Oregon, and Arizona!  And our first stop was Arkansas.

The first show was at Southside Baptist in Alma, AR.  Here's Trent with Pastors Eric and Aaron.  The show was for the community youth and they were very well-behaved. (Which is sometimes surprising, actually, when talking about youth.)  

After the show, we ate with some friends at a local steakhouse and I caved and ordered the chicken fried steak because it just needed to happen.  And it was so good.

A random cold front came through just in time for our outdoor show.  Oh joy.   It was freezing.  But, luckily, I had packed warm-ish clothes.  AND, praise the Lord, I had my space heater that I placed at my feet.  I would've taken a picture, but my hands were frozen.

Even though I'm off the gluten, I still cheat occasionally and always regret it.  I was craving a funnel cake something awful and so I marched over to get me one.  I practically inhaled it.  Then I was sick the next morning (I'll spare you the details) and I vowed to my stomach to never ever ever do that again.  

On our way to the next stop, we ate at our favorite Cuban place.  Meet the "pechuga de pollo al mojo de ajo," which I think is a fancy Cuban way of saying  "chicken in garlic sauce."  But with the rice and avocado and stuffed potato and fried plantains, it's so much more.  My mouth is literally watering right now.

We were able to go to the church (Community Church at Chaffee Crossing in Barling, AR) Saturday afternoon to set up and sound check.  This always makes Sunday mornings less stressful.  (It also makes for a later alarm.)  We got our shipment of t-shirts and I love all the colors!  

After sound check, we got to the hotel (Homewood Suites by Hilton).  We quickly realized it was pretty darn close to the size of our apartment.  Which should give you an idea of the size of our apartment...

We watched the Kentucky Derby, napped, went to eat, got caught up on Nashville, and then ended the night with SNL.  It was delightful.  (Trent continues to be amazing just how easily I nap.) 


The next morning went great!  Getting to new churches and getting in front of new people is always a joy.  And this congregation was so warm and welcoming.  Plus, it was Cinco de Mayo and the service countdown was to Mariachi music with a graphic of a big pot of tortilla soup.  It was awesome.  I love when people don't take themselves too seriously.

We left after the service and booked it to Texas for family time, our birthdays, and more shows.

Stay tuned! 














No comments:

Post a Comment