Tuesday, May 15, 2018

{{ From Cart to Kitchen }}

I like to look at the Craigslist FREE section from time to time.  I've always found things I'd like to go get, but I either don't have a car to go or when I contact the poster, the item has already been picked up.  

Well, one day the stars aligned and I went to get this old cart in hopes to make a play kitchen. 

I think I remember Trent's quote being something like, "That will not work."

*CHALLENGE ACCEPTED* 

What I bought:
primer - $8
silver bowl - $1 (thrift store)
wooden knobs - $2 
PVC (curved) pipe - $3
tension rod - $1
silver spray paint - $2
command strips - $3

What I had:
green paint
2nd tension rod
fabric
chalkboard paint
contact paper
command hook


After doing some research on particle board, I quickly realized I was going to need to spend the money on good primer.  Usually when I craft or DIY, I try to take the cheapest way out and cut corners, but this was not one of those times.  It ended up needing 2 coats of primer which was 2 spray cans and was my most expensive purchase...about $8 worth.  And I didn't get a picture of those steps.


Once the primer dried, I just used the green paint I had on hand and applied 2 more coats.  Trent cut out a hole for the bowl sink and PVC pipe faucet.


The cabinet knobs screwed in and we left them a little loose so the kids can actually turn them.  The faucet and bowl were glued in.

I covered the bottom with contact paper I had (found at Dollar General for about $2) and painted the burners with black craft paint. 

And of course, some chalkboard paint so we can write the menu for the day...or just a greeting =)



Here she is in all her glory!!!  We've been given some kitchen things, bought some kitchen things, and reused some real kitchen things...

(I literally hot glued the curtains.)





  
(Shout out to Grammie for making the back curtains and Amelia's apron.)


Amelia's favorite part is the sink, I think. 

Oliver loves it, too.  Look how little they are!  This was back in the fall...

I still want to add some hooks for the cookware and trim the back curtains, but she works for now. And not too bad for about $20.  




No comments:

Post a Comment