Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homemade Deodorant

Yes, you read that correctly.  Hello, my name is Shellie and I make my own deodorant.  I'll give you some time to laugh...


Now I never thought I'd go this far, but when I was researching homemade soaps and what not, I found out you can pretty much make homemade ANYTHING for way less money and way more natural.  I might even start making toothpaste and makeup.  Stay tuned...


The reason I started this (back in July 2011) was because the aluminum in antiperspirant FREAKS. ME. OUT.  I'll let you do your own research on that. There are several deodorants on the market without the stuff, but this is so much cheaper and you probably have the ingredients in your cabinet already.  And, my first batch lasted from July-December.  Do the math.


WARNING:  this will not keep you from sweating.  It will keep you from stinking.  (Btw, we're supposed to sweat.  Embrace it). 


You'll need:
5 Tbs. coconut oil (this will be your most $$ purchase, but the one I bought was only $5 at the Wal-Mart)
1/4 c. corn starch
1/4 c. baking soda




Add the coconut oil into a bowl.  (Note: you can start the whole mixing process in the container in which you intend to keep the deo).



Add the corn starch and baking soda.  See how easy this is?  



Now, start stirring.  It's that simple.  Kind of looks like cookie dough.  I wouldn't eat it, though.  

Ta-da!!!!!  I put mine in a baby food jar.  But, you can use whatever. 


Application: dip your fingers in it and rub it on your pits.  (For me, one nickel size amount is enough for both pits).



Some things to know:
- This can melt.  I wish I could give you a temperature, but I don't know that 
- If it does melt, put it in the fridge for a bit and it will harden up
- You can add some essential oil to make it smell nice
- If your mixture is too oily, add a bit more corn starch
- If it's too "gritty" add some more coconut oil 
- There will be an "adjustment" period.  (Meaning: you may be really sweaty at the beginning, but your body will adjust)
- Please know that I do keep stronger stuff on hand for those certain occasions where I don't want to have sweat stains 


Hope you try it and hope you like it!  







No comments:

Post a Comment