Friday, January 27, 2012

GEBV Syndrome

Don't worry.  I'm not sick.  But, I have done a self-diagnosis and have come to the conclusion that I have GEBV Syndrome, aka "Good Ear Bad Voice Syndrome."




Now, please.  I am not asking for people to tell me, "but Shellie, you have such a good voice"  and so on.  (This is directed to my sweet, sweet mommy).


This is real, y'all.


I will be the first to tell you that I am not completely tone deaf.  I love and have always loved music, I took piano lessons for almost 4 years, played alto sax (holla) for 7 years, and can currently play 5 chords on the guitar.  I know...it's a pretty significant resume.  Try to contain yourself.  With all that, I have a decent "ear."  This means I can hear things, right and wrong.  I can pick up bad harmonies, a missed chord, a missed note or two, an off rhythm.  And I can do this pretty easily.  While watching Idol, I sometimes say EXACTLY what the judges say...BEFORE they say it.  Again, try to contain yourself.  I'm actually waiting for them to offer me a guest judge spot...right after Iron Chef calls me to do the same. 


*Anywho*


I sing all the time.  Ask my husband; ask my family.  When I was little, I used to stand in our den at home and sing my own medley of "Delta Dawn," "Yellow Rose of Texas" and "If You're Gonna Play in Texas."  It was precious, I'm sure.   


There is just something in my brain.  Some wire or synapse or something else that doesn't fire correctly.  When I try to sing with Trent?  Something goes wrong.  I'll try to sing harmony and will end up singing the melody.  I'll sing the melody, Trent will take the harmony and I will end up following him up there in harmony land.  I don't understand it.  


It's just all wrong and really not a pretty situation.


So, with my self-diagnosis, I am content with having "GEBV Syndrome."  I am content with my ability to hear bad stuff and not sing pretty stuff.  However, don't think that I won't be belting out some SA-WEET Disney tunes to my future nuggets... "I wanna be where the people are.  I wanna see, wanna see 'em 
dancing'..."






Can you relate?   



No comments:

Post a Comment