Wednesday, January 8, 2014

:: Oliver's Birth Story ::

Since finding out we were due in December, there was always the worry that Oliver would have a Christmas birthday.  I know there are many people with that birthday, but we didn't want that for Oliver.

I was scheduled for an ultrasound and my final doctor appointment on December 19.  She was going to check and make sure all my fluids were ok and then, if he wasn't here, we'd wait.  And then, induce on the 26th.  

After talking about it with Trent, we decided to see if she'd be ok with inducing on the 19th or 20th, if everything looked ok at our appointment.  I called and left a message.  We were in the studio when she called back and said, "You're scheduled for 5:00 AM on Thursday the 19th."

I was expecting a little more dialogue, so I was taken a bit off guard.  I agreed then went back in and told Trent (and our producer).  It was a moment.  All of a sudden it was real!  We spent the rest of the day enjoying spending time with one another.  We had a date night and cried a lot and watched a sweet, slightly depressing, Christmas movie (not advised). 

Fast forward to Thursday, December 19th…

Our last selfie of us being just us.  (Can you tell we had like zero hours of sleep?  Training for things to come for sure.)

The final belly pic!

We got to the hospital, signed some things, and got settled in the labor room.

Everything started smoothly and apparently I liked giving the thumbs up.  I got hooked up to fluid, pitocin and antibiotics (for GBS).  We had instrumental Christmas music playing and it was extremely relaxing.  Even the nurses liked it!

My goal going into labor was to go as long as I could without getting an epidural.  I wasn't dead set on going natural, but I thought if I got to 7, what's another 3, you know?  We brought a labor ball, heating pad, and massage items (tennis ball and a rolling pin) to help me get through contractions.  I even brought books to read.

We used none of that stuff.  

I look back now and think, "Awww.  Isn't that cute that I brought that stuff?"  Because I made it to a 3 and was in tears and asked for the epidural.  Like whoa.  But oh the sweet release and brilliance of modern medicine.  Praise the Lord.

(Speaking of packing things that I didn't use…a razor. As if I'd feel like shaving.)  

After I was not in pain, Trent and I were able to talk and watch TV and listen to music and well, relax!  I'm so glad I got it. 

The time frame of everything is a bit of a blur (as is the last 3 weeks), but I stayed at a 4 for quite sometime.  The nurse came in and said, "Shellie.  Your son is being a little problem child."  After each contraction, Oliver's heart rate would drop into the 90s.  She explained it wasn't a big deal and not to worry.  Then she stopped the pitocin to give him a break and put me on oxygen.  

Off the pitocin, Oliver did great!  Heart rate was strong.  No problems.  But, I wasn't progressing.  So, the nurse started the pitocin again.  Then, Oliver reacted the same way.  Heart rate would go down, nurse would stop the pitocin, he'd recover, I would stall, she'd start the drip again, Oliver's heart rate would drop. This was the dance for I don't know how many hours.

At one point, the nurse said, "Shellie.  I just don't think your son will handle labor.  We need to go ahead and get you to sign c-section papers just in case."

This was our first freak out moment.  We cried and prayed.  She also mentioned that our doctor asked her to put in an FSE (a little screw that would go into Oliver's head to more accurately monitor his heart.  A screw!)  Trent and I politely declined and said we'd wait to talk to our doctor.  

Our doctor came in and I had made progress!  She was very positive and her calm demeanor really helped me to calm down.  And Oliver didn't need the FSE.  Yay! 

Everything was going much better, but then 5-6 nurses rushed in and started un-plugging everything.  They all looked concerned and were working very fast and speaking in worried tones.  One of them gave me a shot to stop the contractions.  Trent and I were looking at each other in confusion with tears in our eyes.  They were moving me to the OR to monitor us so they'd be ready to perform a c-section quickly.  Evidently, Oliver's heart rate dropped into the 60s.  (I'm so glad I didn't know this at the time.  I would've been even more of a basket case.)  But then, the nurses turned me on my side, and Oliver's heart rate jumped right up and all of a sudden it was time to push.  Praise the Lord!  While still wearing the oxygen, I started pushing and Oliver came after about an hour.


All the nurses and doctors were in awe of Oliver's blonde locks!  They love blondes and red heads because they're so rare.  A pediatrician even came into our recovery room and said we should keep an eye on Oliver because he might be albino. ???  (I wanted to say you're stupid and where did you get your degree, but I didn't and just smiled and said my husband and I were both blondes, thank you.)

We knew all the potential risks involved in an induction.  But, like most things, we thought everything would be fine and nothing serious would happen.  We were (and are) so incredibly thankful everything turned out perfectly and we now have a beautiful baby boy!  Plus, my mom got to spend her whole time in Nashville with her sweet 6th grand baby. 

First family photo!

When we were discharged on Saturday, we were told Oliver had a little touch of jaundice.  Nothing to be worried about, but to go to the doctor on Monday.

Then we got home.  He didn't have a poop for over 24 hours.  He didn't pee for close to 12 hours.  I called the on-call doctor at our pediatrician's office and he said get some formula asap.  

Trent rushed to the store and I also pumped.  We didn't have to give him the formula and he ended up peeing that night.  Then came the poop.  I actually did a fist pump.  

The jaundice went away naturally and we're all happy and healthy and tired.

I had a very easy and enjoyable 9 months.  Then a scary labor and rough couple days home.  It was a lot to take in. 

(Just ask my mom and Trent about my crying.  Mercy.  The books and websites sure weren't kidding about ALL THE HORMONES.)

Oliver Tuck Monk
21 1/2"
8 lbs 11 oz
3:41 PM

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change."
James 1:17

1 comment:

  1. Aww. Loved reading this. The albino part made me laugh! Oliver is sooo cute. Glad everything was ok. My first one was 8 lb 12 oz. Love big baby boys!