Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Different Uses for Things

Alrighty folks.  Prepare yourselves for what's about to happen.  There are things in your home right now that can be used in different ways.  


I KNOW.  Try to contain your excitement.


Baking Soda:
  • Homemade deodorant.
  • Brushing your teeth (before the toothpaste is what I do). 
  • Put a pea size amount in your palm and mix with a itty bit of water to create a paste.  Now put it on your next blemish and watch it dry up.
  • I haven't done this, but Mama Pat (Trent's grandma) says she puts some in old socks then sticks them into her husband's shoes to deodorize. Faboulous.
  • Lather up a wash cloth with soap (I use Ivory or Cetaphil do to the sensitive skin I got from my father) then sprinkle some baking soda on the soapy washcloth and use it on your face for an exfoliant.  It's great. 
  • When added with vinegar (which has it's own special category) it will unclog a drain.  I use this recipe.  (You'll need hot water and a washrag, fyi).  It's natural.
White Vinegar:
  • See above for unclogging of drains.
  • Gnat trap.  For real, y'all.  (They should call this place Gnats-ville in the summer).  
  • Rinse agent in your dishwasher.
  • I clean with it, which is totally old school, and not such a new use, but oh well.
  • The weirdest thing I do?  I use it as an astringent.  On my face.  You'll smell like pickles, but you'll see a difference in your skin.
  • I've heard of using it on hair...I will be trying that.
Coffee Filters:
  • Only one other way I use these bad boys.  Instead of paper towels with your windex, use a new coffee filter to clean mirrors so there are no streaks.  I swear it works.


{Speaking of Coffee...this next one's messy}


Used Coffee Grounds:
  • Use as a body scrub in the shower.  What?  I know.  It's not harsh or full of chemicals and the caffeine tightens up your skin (for a bit).  This is messy, and I always bathe after so I don't smell like a Starbucks.  It's a shame because you'll look really tan before you wash it off...  
Sugar and Oil:
  • Using oil (olive/grapeseed) and sugar (brown/white) create a mixture to be used as a body scrub.  I don't follow a specific recipe, I just get the consistency I like.  This can also be used on your face!  The oil won't break you out, I promise.  (You can add some essential oils in the mix, if you have them on hand).  
Peroxide:
  • Mouthwash.  When you do it you'll see all the fancy bubbles happening.  I let those sit for a minute, then brush.  
  • I may, or may not, still put some in my hair.  
Honey:
  • Mix with oatmeal and lemon juice to make an AWESOME face mask.  Leave on for 10 minutes, or so.  I should warn you, this is messy, too.
  • Place a tiny bit on a blemish, cover with a bandaid and leave over night.  It dramatically reduces the size of that sucker.



Do you have random uses for things?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment