Friday, May 25, 2012

Arkansas. Our second home.

We enjoyed some time off the road...about 2 1/2 weeks in Nashville.  That may seem like no time, but for us, that's plenty of time to get antsy and ready to pack again.

This run was, once again, in Arkansas.  We had several shows in the area and were able to stay in the same hotel room and hop around for the week.  It's nice when it works out that way.

Trent was asked if he would play at a restaurant in Bentonville, AR.  He agreed.  It was basically background music, but it was fun because we got paid to practice.  AND got some yummy grub.  Oh...this is our feet.  (As if you were confused). 

Sunday AM service means coffee on the way out.  

Kibler Baptist Church in Alma, AR.  Oh my goodness.  Such amazing, sweet, precious, kind, lovely people.  After the service, they offered a church luncheon to anyone who wanted to join.  They insisted we go first.  That meant we cut in front of, like, 75 people.  It was awkward.  (But, that also meant we got to the pigs-in-a-blanket first.  And I'm okay with that).

Sunday PM, we went to Rudy Baptist in Rudy, AR.  Another group of amazing people!  I forgot to take a picture, though, so you'll have to take my word for it.

On the way to Charleston, AR on Monday evening.  Trent had to stop to make sure we were going the right way.  Cue self-pic time.

No one was available to run sound at the church.  Translation: my turn.  "Oh dear" was my first response.  There's just so many levers and knobs and lights and wires and things I can mess up.

Turns out, I just needed to know where the volume was for the vocal and guitar. And, of course, the EQ stuff for both.  And for the monitor.  And the effects and what not.  Or is it FX?  I don't know.

Charleston, AR - First United Methodist Church (sound check)

We had a day off and for us that means: find a local food joint.  There are several great restaurants in the Fort Smith/Van Buren area.  We love Frank's Italian and the Cuban Grill.  However.  There's a new love...Pho Hoang.  I don't know how to pronounce it, but I'm pretty sure it means "awesomeness" in Vietnamese.  Trust me.

Case in point:

Later that day, the pastor of Kibler Baptist and his wife, Eric and Jeanette Green, had us over for dinner.  We had such a great time with them and their adorable boys, Aiden and Ashton.  It's one of my favorite things about what we do.  Hanging out with new friends and enjoying good conversation and laughs. 

The next night was a show at Cedarville FBC.  There was mostly youth and they were very well behaved, which is sometimes not the case.

I sat on the front row this time.  It was weird, but I liked it.  

After the show, our friends Steve and Heather Weaver had us over for some brisket and fixins.  Their little girl, Aubrey had a gift for us and it makes me smile.  Please note how she likes Trent but loves me.  


Leftovers for lunch but our room didn't have a microwave.  Solution?  Use the one in the breakfast area.  What can I say...we're frugal.  And the staff didn't seem to mind.

Last show of the run was at another restaurant.  It's called Doe's Eat Place.  The steaks were phenomenal.  I'm talking slap-your-mama good.  Eating it made me feel sorry for people that don't eat beef.  

(I just read this post and gracious me, I talk about food a lot).

(And can I just tell you I actually googled fixins and the definition was too good not to share: a Southern (USA) word for the supplemental food, dishes, ingredients, and accompaniments to whatever you are eating, cooking, or serving).

(And that just about sums it up).


Next is Texas.  YAY!

















No comments:

Post a Comment