Thursday, May 17, 2012

That time a pinterest craft became a thorn in my side...

Ever been on a pinterest high?  Ever thought making a homemade rug was a good idea?  Ever had a 40% Joann's coupon burning a hole in your pocket?  Me too, friends.  Me too.

It started with this.  Seemed easy enough.  Cut t-shirts into strips and latch hook them to a rug canvas.  Simple, right?  

I started this thing about 6 months ago.  I took that Joann's coupon and bought a rug canvas and a latch hook.  I wasn't about to cut up my t-shirts.  And I wasn't about to go buy a bunch of white ones to dye.  I had a perfectly good corduroy comforter, that we weren't using.  So, in pinterest fashion, I began cutting.  And cutting.  And cutting.  


But, in my pursuit of crafty-ness, I was still excited to make my own rug.  I started cutting the material into strips so I could start the process.  I must say, I felt very proud.  Very "why-go-buy-a-rug-when-I-can-make-one" kind of attitude.  

Here's the thing.  I could have already bought a rug by now and spent my time on other things.  This particular project has become a thorn in my side.  I see it sitting there, collecting dust, beckoning me to work on it.  And I say "No, rug.  Not today. Today, I am making a chalkboard out of an old picture frame, thank you very much.  That takes no time at all. Working on you is not happening."

But then, I know I must finish it.  I do love it.  It's going to be perfect under our coffee table and I'll be able to say that I made it.

Here's where I'm at:

Don't let the picture fool you.  This sucker is 30" x 60" and I'm only 1/3 finished.  That's about 45 rows and each row, if I am working steadily, takes about 30 minutes to complete.

If I were to do it again, and it's not likely, I'd go with thinner fabric, like t-shirts.  And I would definitely go smaller. 

And...I'll still probably blog about the process.  In a more positive, less sarcastic, way, of course.

Can you feel my pain?







  



No comments:

Post a Comment