Friday, May 11, 2012

For Mother's Day

I love my mom.  She is beautiful inside and out.  And I am proud to be her daughter.

I love how she laughs at my jokes and I love the look on her face when she tries not to laugh...like when I say something inappropriate.  I love that her wine glass has jewels and painted tiaras on it.  I love that she is passionate about politics and Baylor sports.  And I love that she has learned to text.

Growing up, I didn't understand her parenting efforts or even want to.  I just couldn't quite grasp why I, an elementary school student, couldn't watch "Married with Children" or have a sleepover on a school night.  But now, looking back, I am thankful she chose that route over many others.  I'm also appreciative she forgave me during my *ahem* bratty and attitude driven stages.  
I don't think she missed an event I was involved in...EVER.  Basketball, little league, games I cheered at, golf tournaments, award ceremonies, field days, graduations, band concerts.  Always with her giant camcorder on her shoulder.  She would keep stats in basketball and keep up with my score in golf.  She even came to things I did as a teacher.  


She made our breakfasts, packed our lunches, and cooked our dinners.  She'd help us with homework, projects, and selling Camp Fire candy.  When we were younger, during the summers, my mom would sit at the pool with us.  I would yell at her while I was on the diving board, "Mommy, watch this!"  And when I completed my flip, or dive, or toe-touch, she would cheer and act like she had just witnessed an Olympic worthy stunt.
She was my travel companion when I continued my golf career after college.   Even in my twenties, she would go down to the continental breakfast and bring food back to the room, so I could take my time getting ready and eat in my pajamas.  My mom was the one who clapped and cheered loudly during those golf tournaments.  Even when I made double bogies.


She helped me pack up my things and my life when I went through my divorce.  There was no judgment or embarrassment from her.  Only grace, love and kindness.  She was patient during that time, when I did nothing but stay in the house and watch Gilmore Girls.  And she was understanding when I wasted days away, sitting in the sun. 

I tell my mom everything and love that she's my friend.  I joyfully told her about meeting Trent and how I really liked him.  The mother in her was worried we were moving too fast, but the friend in her was happy for me.  Then, the mother and friend in her was delighted and excited when we got engaged.  I'm so grateful that she supports our dream-chasing adventure and our move to Nashville.  And her patience with us, as we wait to start a family, is quite impressive...even though she's got MAJOR grand baby fever.
We share a love of movies, books, tea and pedicures.  Food, flip-flops, and my sister's kids.  She is an amazing Grammie, full of love.  Her selflessness is astounding.  Not only with those precious grandchildren, but also with my daddy and us. 
I inherited the way she folds towels, her love of Clinique yellow lotion, and her smile.  She taught me how to make hospital corners, how to treat people, and the importance of sunscreen.  And much, much more.  Like how to embrace a giant chair while on a trip:
I love my mom.  She is beautiful inside and out.  And I am proud to be her daughter.



Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  I hope to do as good of a job as you did.  I love you!





No comments:

Post a Comment